Associate Vice Chancellor Student Life and Engagement
Job Title Code
Salary Range (Full-Time)
$190,000 + (commensurate with education and experience)
Hourly Rate (Part-Time)
Dallas College is seeking an experienced, highly collaborative leader with a proven track record of enhancing service excellence, diversity, equity and inclusion, and student success in a dynamic higher education environment. The Associate Vice Chancellor, Student Life and Engagement reports to the Vice Chancellor, Student Success and is responsible for providing effective leadership and administrative management for all student life, leadership and development programs at Dallas College: developing, coordinating, implementing, and evaluating such programs; ensuring that an equity lens and mindset are applied to the design, delivery, organization, and evaluation of these programs; and ensuring that the College continues to strengthen its integrated approach to programs and services, planning, and operations towards the achievement of student success and institutional goals.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Possess comprehensive knowledge of co-curricular design, student development and effective practices designed to support student success and a broad understanding of legal issues and compliance requirements within a higher education environment.
• Maintain a deep understanding of key national trends and best practices in functional areas of reporting and ensure that units are on the cutting edge of student services and are engaged in continuous improvement to ensure that services are responsive to changing needs of students.
• Be a highly collaborative leader with experience in a comparably diverse and complex college/university with a proven track record of enhancing quality, excellence, institutional diversity, equity and inclusion, and student success
• Demonstrated experience working with student life and engagement programs.
• Able to identify and apply appropriate methods to assess progress of student life and engagement programs and the impact of such programs on students.
• Experience in strategic planning, assessment of program(s) effectiveness, and development of guidelines to enhance student success units within the institution and with accrediting bodies
• Demonstrated skills in technological support and delivery of student programs and services.
• Knowledge and understanding of student development theory and programs.
• Ability to identify, address, and collaborate with other leaders on solutions to barriers preventing a significant portion of our population from having a job that pays a living wage
• Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, complex ideas, and information to a variety of stakeholders/constituents within the Dallas College community network.
Normal physical job functions performed within a standard office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to individuals with physical challenges to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
Minimum Knowledge and Experience
• Master’s degree required (earned doctorate preferred) in higher education, counseling/student services or related field as confirmed by official transcripts
• Five (5) years of progressively responsible management and supervisory experience in one or more areas of student services
• Three (3) years upper level administrative/supervisory experience in a community college/higher education environment
• Demonstrated successful experience in strategic planning, fiscal management, resource allocation and personnel supervision
• Knowledge and experience with SACS accreditation requirements and processes; knowledge and experience with Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board rules and guidelines preferred
• Bilingual preferred
• Official transcripts are required.
*** Will be subject to a criminal background check. Some positions may be subject to a fingerprint check. ***
Preferred Skills/Additional Requirements:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Provide high-level leadership and direction for the development, implementation and maintenance of a student life model that encourages student engagement and provides a consistent student experience at all college campuses.
• Support the enhancement of academic education and student success through the development of policies and programs which promote the personal growth and development of students.
• Ensures compliance with laws and regulations and minimizes institutional liability by systematically reviewing college compliance with federally mandated reporting and disclosure requirements. Creating and modifying policies, procedures, and practices to become/remain compliant, and advising others in the interpretation and application of laws and regulations.
• Promote best practices pertaining to student leadership development, student governance and conduct, student engagement, student programming, recreation programs, and student organizations.
• Ensures that quality services and programs are provided to the community by facilitating the development and implementation of all programs, activities, and functions held in, hosted, sponsored, or developed by the Office of Student Life and Engagement.
• Provide leadership in the development of multicultural programming; demonstrate an understanding of and develop student programming that promotes the personal growth of students by enhancing their understanding of their own, as well as an understanding others, culture, heritage, and identities.
• Responds appropriately to issues in a dynamic, rapidly changing educational/economic environment
• Maintains administrative oversight for the Student Life and Engagement budgets, monitors, and controls expenditures consistent with the College’s strategic priorities.
• Actively participate in local, regional, state, and national professional development opportunities as applicable to the role and/or by assignment.
• Completes required Dallas College Professional Development training hours per academic year.
• Perform duties as assigned, maintaining all standards in accordance with Dallas College policies and procedures.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Incumbents may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Position requires regular and predictable attendance.
Dallas College is part of an equal opportunity system that provides education and employment opportunities without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. Dallas College complies with the Americans with Disabilities and Veterans Act.