Coordinator, Multicultural Affairs (DACA, Dreamer, International, ALANA, or LGBTQ+ Student Support)
Job Title Code
Salary Range (Full-Time)
$53,000+ (commensurate with education and experience)
Hourly Rate (Part-Time)
$25.48 per hour
The Multicultural Student Services Program Coordinator serves a resource for a specific student population (i.e., DACA/Dreamers, International, ALANA, LGBTQ+) by assisting them with their unique personal, social, academic, and financial concerns. This includes outreach and advocacy on behalf of DACA, Dreamer, International, ALANA, and LGBGTQ+ students by working to ensure that they feel supported and assisting them with gaining access to campus and community resources. Program Coordinators work collaboratively to plan, implement, and assess cultural awareness and social justice education programs designed to promote an inclusive campus climate. The Program Coordinator plays a critical role in supporting the access, persistence, retention, and success of all students from historically underrepresented communities.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Knowledge of the purpose of community colleges and the vision of Dallas College · Skills in technological support and delivery of student programs and services; knowledge and skill in the use of integrated software systems; and proficiency in the use of Microsoft application software
· Experience leading or managing major change initiatives · Employ and deploy data-informed and results oriented initiatives
· Ability to identify and address opportunities and challenges that arise as a result of Dallas College’s current transition · An understanding of contemporary issues in higher education is required through professional development activities
· Experience working with student support programs (counseling, threat assessment, health & wellness programs, etc.) as a CARE Team member · Ability to maintain confidentiality of information exposed to in the course of business regarding students, supervisors, or other employees
· Demonstrated knowledge of undocumented and international student issues through programming, resource management, and other professional activities · Highly collaborative leader with experience in a comparably diverse and complex college/university with a proven track record of enhancing quality, excellence, institutional diversity, equity and inclusion, and student success
· Knowledge of applicable laws and regulations regarding student discipline · An appreciation of shared governance and evidence of strong ability to work effectively and collaboratively with administration, faculty, students, staff, and other constituent groups and partners, both within and outside a college or university with diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic background Experience in strategic planning, assessment of program(s) effectiveness, and development of guidelines to enhance student success units within the institution and with accrediting bodies · Excellent time management, and organizational and problem-solving skills
· Ability to work effectively with ethnic, cultural, and socially and economically diverse student populations · Ability to stay informed of the rapidly evolving social and political landscape
· Knowledge and understanding of best practices for undocumented and international student issues in relationship to identity and student development, retention, academic achievement, and emerging campus climate issues · Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, complex ideas, and information to a variety of stakeholders/constituents within the Dallas College community network related to career and academic requirements
Normal physical job functions performed within a standard office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to individuals with physical challenges to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
Minimum Knowledge and Experience
Associates degree in related field, Masters preferred. Official transcripts required.
· Two (2) years of related experience.
· Current and valid Texas driver’s license required.
· Ability to work extended hours beyond the regular 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. workday especially during heavy registration peak times including nights and weekends.
· Experience working with DACA, International, ALANA and/or LGBTQ+ groups.
· Experience supervising and supervising staff and interns.
· Experience working with diverse student and staff populations.
· Excellent interpersonal relations skills
· ***Will be subject to a criminal background check. Some positions may be subject to a fingerprint check.
Preferred skills/experience: Masters degree in higher education or related field. Experience developing and facilitating training/workshops in areas of Social Justice, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. Experience working with special student populations included but not limited to International, ALANA, LGBTQ+ and DACA/Dreamers. The successful candidate will have knowledge of assessment tools.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Provide support services to support student retention and success for a specific group of historically underrepresented students.
· Coordinate and support programs designed to increase the retention, completion, and success rates of DACA, Dreamer, International, ALANA, and LGBGQ+ students.
· Works collaboratively with college and community partners to enhance the recruitment, development, enrichment, inclusion, retention, and student experience for DACA, Dreamer, International, ALANA, and LGBGQ+ students.
· Delivers Multicultural Affairs activities and programs to help increase cultural competency and create an inclusive, positive learning experience for all students.
· Establishes the direction, goals, implementation strategy and policies of the department.
· Provides in-services training and facilitates meetings, workshops, and seminars for the purpose of identifying issues, developing recommendations, and supporting staff. Serves as a resource to staff, faculty, students, and campus community on student engagement and activities.
· Advises senior administrators in implementing programs, new initiatives, and special projects.
· Responsible for ensuring that all programs and activities comply with university, state, and federal regulations.
· Develops, administers, and analyzes continuous assessment of programs. Prepares and evaluates statistical, analytical, and narrative reports to be used for decision making and program improvement.
· Coordinates and facilitates interactive workshops that promote experiential learning.
· Completes required Dallas College Professional Development training hours per academic year.
· Performs other job duties as required.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Incumbents may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Position requires regular and predictable attendance.
Dallas College is part of an equal opportunity system that provides education and employment opportunities without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. Dallas College complies with the Americans with Disabilities and Veterans Act.